Individual and Social Approaches to Communication
Read the attached Chapter 4 from the book: Applying Communication Theory for Professional Life: A Practical Introduction – 3rd Edition. Then based ONLY in that chapter
of the book, answer the last questions of the chapter using simple English vocabulary and in a form of question and answer:
– How might social role stereotypes explain the interaction? Is there any evidence of descriptive or prescriptive prejudices?
– Discuss Lt. Meyers, Suzanne, and SSGT Lakey in terms of emotional intelligence. How do they fare on each of the four branches?
– What message design logic does Lt. Meyers appear to rely on? What about Suzanne? How about MSGT Robinson? Using Table 4.2 identifying forms of miscommunication due
to MDL, analyze what might have happened.
– Assess the extent to which the axioms are present in the case. Do you believe generational variations might have played a role in the misunderstanding? Why or why
– Which theory seems to explain the situation “better” than the others? Why do you believe this to be the case? Are there other theories or a combination of theories
that might explain what happened more fully?
3/3/2015 Print I Applying Communication Theory for Professional Life: A Practical Introduction
C H A P T E R 4
Individual and Social Approaches
After reading this chapter, you will be able to…
1. Describe some of the characteristics of a nature and a nurture approach to communication.
2. Articulate what a standpoint is and how it influences communication.
3. Summarize a communibiological approach to communication.
4. Explain the differences between sex and gender.
5. Compare and contrast communal qualities and agentic qualities and ascertain how these quali-
ties are associated with social roles.
6. Describe descriptive and prescriptive prejudices.
7. Explain the double bind facing women who are leaders.
8. Summarize research investigating the perceptions and realities of sex differences in communication.
9. Identify the components of emotional intelligence.
10. Differentiate between transactional and transformational leadership.
11. Distinguish the three message design logics.
12. Use the axioms of the interactional perspective to analyze a communication interaction.
13. Summarize the differences between the values and behaviors of the five US. generations.
14. Apply the axioms of the interactional perspective to generational conflicts in the workplace.
15. Summarize major theoretical approaches to individual and social approaches to communication.
16. Compare and contrast major theoretical approaches to individual and social approaches to
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂