For the Assignment, you will conduct research on the United States and two other countries cultures consulting The Hofstede Dimensions from Chapter 5 for this exercise. Use the Kaplan library or the Internet for your additional research, and then respond to the questions below In a persuasive essay in 2–3 pages in APA format and citation style.
Please view the rubric icon below for the full Assignment details.
How do various factors of one’s job contribute to satisfaction in different cultures?
A recent study attempted to answer this question in a survey of over 49 countries. The authors of the study distinguished between intrinsic job characteristics (having a job that allows one to use one’s skills, frequently receiving recognition from one’s supervisor) and extrinsic job characteristics (receiving pay that is competitive within a given industry, working in an environment that has comfortable physical conditions) and assessed differences between the two in predicting employee job satisfaction.
The study found that, across all countries, extrinsic job characteristics were positively and consistently related to satisfaction with one’s job. However, countries differed in the extent to which intrinsic job characteristics predicted job satisfaction. Richer countries, countries with stronger social security, countries that stress individualism rather than collectivism, and countries with a smaller power distance (those that value a more equal distribution of power in organizations and institutions) showed a stronger relationship between the presence of intrinsic job characteristics and job satisfaction.
What explains these findings? One explanation is that countries with greater wealth and social security, take concerns about survival for granted, and thus employees have the freedom to place greater importance on intrinsic aspects of the job. Another explanation is that cultural norms emphasizing the individual and less power asymmetry, socialize individuals to focus on the intrinsic aspects of their job. In other words, such norms tell individuals that it is okay to want jobs that are intrinsically rewarding.
Huang X. & Van De Vliert, E. (2003). Where intrinsic job satisfaction fails to work: National moderators of intrinsic motivation. Journal of Organizational Behavior,24(2), 159–179.doi:10.1002/job.186
For this Assignment, conduct research on the United States and two other countries’ cultures. Use the Kaplan library or the Internet, and then respond to the questions below in a 2–3 pagepersuasive essay using APA format and citation style.
- Compare facts about each of the three countries. How are these countries different according to Hofstede?
- Determine which of the three countries is most likely to have higher job satisfaction and motivation among employees. What motivational theories are most relevant in each country?
- Explain your answer and persuade your audience using motivation theory from the Robbins and Judge (2013) text.
- Provide your conclusion, summarizing your point of view regarding the above.
- To complete this Assignment successfully, the instructor must be able to identify where the answer for each of the three questions clearly begins and ends (allow at least a several paragraphs per question). Use APA format and citation style and be sure to use correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, and that your essay is well-ordered and logical.
- Make sure to complete all three questions within this Assignment and support your responses to persuade your audience.
- The minimum page count requirement for this project is 2–3 pages of body text using APA format and citation style; this does not include the cover page or the references page.
Directions for submitting your Assignment: Before you submit your Assignment, you should save your work using the correct naming convention: Last_first Name_Homework_Unit #.
Submit your 2–3 page paper to the Dropbox (after you have saved it in the appropriate format to your own files as backup), before the end of this unit.