Scholars have noted that “marketing, in general, means publicizing your name, program, and service to your target audience. Ethnic marketing employs the personal marketing strategies that best reflect the cultural values, beliefs, and norms of the ethnic audience you are targeting” (Guion, Kent, & Deihl, 2009). According to these authors, there are five keys to successful ethnic marketing:
1. Value the cultural uniqueness of your target group;
2. Value cooperation and bridge-building with community leaders and other organizations working within the community;
3. Value the cultural beliefs, symbols, and practices of your target group;
4. Value differences in languages, accents, practices, and social conduct;
5. Value word-of-mouth and interpersonal communication to spread your message.
Guion, L.A., Kent, H., & Diehl, D. C. (2009). Ethnic marketing: A strategy for marketing programs to diverse audiences. University of Florida. Retrieved from http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy758
For this Application Assignment, review this week’s media, “Communication for Social Change Process,” and consider how you might begin to target an audience and community for your public health campaign. Also, consider potential barriers you might face in reaching these communities and how you might address them.
Submit the assignment: Part III: Engage Target Audience/Communities (3–4 pages) by Day 7.
Use the Communication Plan Guidelines handout from this week’s Required Resources to complete the assignment.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Refer to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association to ensure your in-text citations and reference list are correct.