Culture;Applying Communication Theory for Professional Life: A Practical Introduction
Read the attached Chapter 6 from the book: Applying Communication Theory for Professional Life: A Practical Introduction – 3rd Edition. Then based ONLY in that chapter of the book, answer the two questions using simple English vocabulary and in a form of question and answer:
– The U.S. is considered lower in uncertainty avoidance. However, Americans are becoming more and more reliant on technology to answer questions for them (e.g. GPS, weather channel, public transportation apps). Is this just convenient OR are we becoming more nervous about the unknown (i.e. higher uncertainty avoidant)?
– LMX relationships are ideal; however we still do not understand whether the employee performance leads to the relationship or the relationship leads to performance. Why is this so challenging for us to determine? What could we do to figure out what comes first?
C H A P T E R 6
C u ltu re
After reading this chapter, you will be able to…
1. Define culture, cross-cultural communication, and intercultural communication.
2. Explain and identify examples for each of Hofstede’s five primary cultural dimensions.
3. Describe how each continuum relates to communication differences.
4. Compare and contrast select countries’ cultural preferences, based on Hofstede’s dimensions.
5. Articulate the difference between cultural generalizations and individual variations within a
culture, recognizing that culture is dynamic, not monolithic.
6. Explain how individuals communicate social identity through in-groups and out-groups.
7. Discuss the process of accommodation through convergence or divergence.
8. Analyze the positive and negative consequences associated with accommodation.
9. Predict whether a communicator should converge or diverge her or his speech by considering risk
10. Describe the connections between communication accommodation theory and leader-member
11. Describe the role of anxiety and uncertainty in intercultural and intergroup communication.
12. Explain how the threshold for anxiety and uncertainty can either impair or motivate communica-
13. Discuss how mindful communication affects anxiety and uncertainty reduction while simultane-
ously contributing to the positive outcomes of communication effectiveness and intercultural
14. Compare and contrast uncertainty reduction theory (see Chapter 3) with anxiety/uncertainty
https://online.vitalsource.com/books/97814833 1 1791/print?from=95&to=1 14&skip_desktop=true 1/20
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂