Policy Analysis and Recommendations for an Emerging Global City – Beijing
instruction will be uploaded as additional file
Topic: Policy Analysis and Recommendations for an Emerging Global City – Beijing
Write a twelve-page, approximately 4,000-word, essay focusing on an emerging global city – Beijing. Your paper will need to depict the current economic, environmental, cultural and political conditions (air pollution, anti – corruption, uneven distribution of educational resources, uneven distribution of medical resources, heritage protection, market – oriented economic reform and Hukou reform) affecting the city of your choice utilizing primary and secondary data sources. From this data you will analyze, and in your opinion prioritize, the two most important issues facing the selected city (air pollution and Hukou reform). How and why are these issues different than those faced by existing global cities? From your analysis, you will need to discuss what policies and programs need to be considered in addressing your two selected issues. What are the managerial, financial, and political implications and potential solutions? Who or what is responsible for the solutions? What are your defensible recommendations?
You must utilize citations from at least twelve references in addition to utilizing at least seven citations from these texts:
1. Brenner, N., & Keil, R. (Eds.). (2006). The global cities reader. New York, NY: Routledge.
2. Sassen, S. (2011). Cities in a world economy (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge Press.
3. Anheier, H., & Isar, Y.R. (Eds.). (2012). Cultures and globalization: Cities, cultural policy and governance. London: Sage Publications.
Graphics that are relevant to the policy analysis and recommendations are encouraged.
Written paper: 40 points
A one page abstract should be included in the beginning of the paper and handed out during the final class along with one or two tables or figures illustrating key concepts from the paper. The student will make a five minute presentation during the final class focusing on the conclusions drawn from the data analysis, how the proposed policies respond to the forces shaping global cities, and evidence that the proposed policies will be successful.
Class Presentation: 5 points
1. Clear and engaging thesis in the first paragraph of the paper that lays out the two policy challenges that will be addressed and why.
2. Analysis of theory as cited in class readings that are facing emerging global cities (particularly from the second half of the course) and local sources.
3. Data evidence (in tables, graphs or maps) that lay out the challenge and provide benchmark indicators of existing conditions.
4. Description of local assets (organizations, cultural strengths, government agencies), that you will use as a base to implement proposed strategies.
5. Proposed policy strategies – how well do they fit the specific strengths in your city, evidence that they have either worked in your city on a small scale and your suggestions for expanding them, and/or evidence that they have worked in other cities. Formulation of quantitative objective(s) to “move the needle” on at least one benchmark indicator defined in the review of evidence earlier in the paper. Rough estimate of what the policy change would cost and how it would be raised (e.g. user fee, tax, cost efficiencies, etc.).
6. Writing quality, breadth and quality of resources, and proper Chicago style.
7. Class presentation and one page abstract. Presentation should be succinct, clear, and aimed at convincing the class to implement the policy.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂